In 1946 Dr Cecil Walters, Medical Superintendent of Prince Henry Hospital, conceived a plan for a ward to cater exclusively for the police service.
The idea came about when the convalescence of a young policeman was prolonged by the open hostility of some patients in the general ward.
The idea was to have 20 beds for the men and 3 private rooms for officers. This was approved by both the Police Commissioner MacKay and Premier Sir William McKell.
Commissioner MacKay was one of the first patients and insisted on being in the 20-bed ward, but this was refused citing it may make the other men feel uncomfortable by the presence of their boss.
The Police Association and Police Officers Association contributed generously each year to the hospital. Dr Walters always pressed strongly for free medical and dental services for the force.
Read about the The Police Ward at Bravery Bandages and Bedpans