Spanning the 121 year history of Prince Henry Hospital Bravery, Bandages and Bedpans highlights the huge changes in nursing practice over the century and illustrates the adversities and adventures experienced by generations of Australian nurses.
The online companion to Bravery, Bandages and Bedpans celebrates 2020, International Year of the Nurse and Midwife and the 200th anniversary of the birth of nursing pioneer Florence Nightingale,and May 12, International Nurses Day, by presenting information on the trials, tribulations and triumphs of Prince Henry Hospital trained nurses across history to complement the physical exhibition.
This exhibition is be available to view every Tuesday and Sunday, 10am-3pm, at the Prince Henry Hospital Museum, Little Bay. Entry fee is $5.00.
Tours for school and community groups can also be arranged.
Established in 1881 by the NSW Government, the Coast Hospital at Little Bay was the first public hospital in the Sydney. Renamed Prince Henry Hospital in 1934 to mark the visit of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, it became a teaching hospital, training both doctors and nurses, and a centre for research of infectious diseases. In 1988 the NSW government made the decision to consolidate Prince Henry and Prince of Wales Hospitals into a single campus. The last wards closed in 2003. The area has been redeveloped into a residential precinct.
The Prince Henry Hospital Nursing and Medical Museum maintains an extensive collection of documents, artefacts and memorabilia related to Prince Henry Hospital and the hundreds of doctors, nurses, patients and support staff associated with the hospital and the history of medicine in NSW.